- SALARY: Negotiable Depending Upon Experience
- HOURS: Monday – Friday (9:00am-5:00pm)
- LOCATION: RIGA, HQ (Gateshead)
- HOLIDAYS: Annual Leave + Bank Holidays + December Off (Fully Paid)
- CONTRACT: Permanent, Full Tim
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Global Procurement Group (GPG) an international group of companies specialising in energy services and technologies that transform energy behaviour as we move into a low-carbon economy. The group recently posted revenues of £67m for 2020, with the latest accounts detailing growth at 40% p.a. from 2017-2020.
GPG continues to expand rapidly, with operations in Gateshead, Newcastle and Leeds (UK), Paris and Malta (Europe), Texas (US) and Chennai (India). GPG will employ 1,000 heads by the end of the year.
The UK trading arm, Northern Gas and Power, are the UK’s largest energy consultancy. Managing energy assets for over 20,000 clients, we manage over 30TWhs of energy – more than the entire annual consumption of Ireland.
The Energy Trader will be responsible for implementing and executing clients’ electricity and gas trading strategy and activities. Reporting to the Head of Flexible Purchasing and Energy Strategy they will be responsible for developing the company’s ability to trade energy whilst building a market leading trading functionality to deliver an unparalleled flexible purchasing offering to our existing and potential customers.
They will be accountable for the maintenance and development of comprehensive risk models for Client-Market exposure and budget risk covering electricity and gas purchasing.
They will manage a portfolio of power and gas trades for Industrial & Commercial users of energy; and PPAs of physical generators in order to maximize gross margins within pre-defined risk limits.
- Manage companies’ commodity trading position. Deliver traded energy to meet companies’ and customers’ risk requirements.
- Development of client trading strategies to meet individual client requirements, liaising directly with clients.
- Executing the trading strategy on a day-to-day basis whilst striving to continuously improve all risk management strategies.
- Develop tools and models to assist in the decision-making process when hedging clients’ energy expenditure.
- Focus on both short, mid- and long-term trading for clients’ position management.
- Responsible for profit and loss on any unlocks/relock trades undertaken on client accounts.
- Making trading or hedging recommendations to clients utilising fundamental/technical analysis.
- Formulate and implement a risk vs reward view based on technical and fundamental analysis for clients.
- Responsible for the entry of trades into the Energy Trading Risk Management system in a timely manner.
- Ensuring client positions remain at all times within the agreed trading parameters and risk management strategy.
- Stay up to date with market trends and provide insight and analysis to shape company product offering.
- Model the incorporation of low carbon generation and power purchase agreements (PPAs) into customer supply agreements.
- Support in the production of daily market intelligence reporting for both internal and external use.
- Mentor and develop junior trading analysts to support the growth of the company’s trading desk.
- Produce periodic reports for the company board.
- Support the company’s compliance requirements such as REMIT reporting.
- To support the Energy Company’s emergency planning, critical incident and service response arrangements through participation in out-of-hours call out and management cover as required.
- Ensure they comply with all company operating policies and procedures.
- Exceeding all business set KPIs.
- An excellent communicator with great presentation skills
- High numeracy and sound technical skills
- A strategic thinker
- The capacity to make quick but rational decisions, and to be able to work in a high pressured, fast paced environment
- Proactive attitude
- Strong networking and relationship building skills
- Interpersonal skills to drive projects within a cross functional environment
- 2 years’ commodities trading experience preferably within the UK Energy Sector
- Strong risk management skills and experience of delivering additional value via optimised trading
- Previous experience in the development of new risk models and strategies and their implementation within a trading desk
- Have a detailed knowledge of energy suppliers and their product offerings
- Highly analytical with a strong attention to detail
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint & Other MS Office applications
- Experience with trade capture and risk management systems
- Degree educated or equivalent
- Experience building and maintaining key accounts in the energy industry supporting the sales functionality
- Established network of business with proven track record within the energy industry
- Experience of executing a B2B trading business pla